I was watching a movie the other day, (or rather, listening to it) when I heard one character tell another, “He died in a terrible writing accident.” Okay, so I heard wrong — he died in a terrible riding accident, but I couldn’t get the thought of a writing accident out of my head. I thought I shouldn’t be alone in such a state so I’m posting it here so you too have to deal with the image.
How does one die in a terrible writing accident? These are what I came up with:
1. Commit seppuku by falling on a pen. After all, the pen is mightier than the sword. (To be accurate, this would not be an accident since seppuku is a willful act, but I couldn’t resist.)
2. One’s brain can burst with ideas.
3. One can be choked with emotion.
4. One can get beaned with writer’s block.
5. One can write themselves into a hole and be unable to get out.
Feel free to add to my list!